11/9/17

Skills to Pay the Bills

"What's this added charge on my utility bill?"

Nyton completes a deposit ticket for his pay and bonus checks.
That's not a normal question from a sophomore. But, in all three math groups in Learning 4Life Success, bill paying, earning wages, earning bonuses, and keeping an accurate checkbook register has become normal.

It's all part of our "Earn and Learn" project, a simulation that helps young adults develop skills they'll need in the working or college world. Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors are becoming familiar with deposit tickets, bills, and balances. 

"Rent" of our chair and work space goes to Sister Patrice, our "landlord."
There's plenty of opportunity to find solutions to real-life financial challenges:
> What do I do if I can't make rent?
> If I stay on task, hey, I can get a wage bonus!
> Should I save some of my hard-earned income for something in the future, or should I spend it now?
> I forgot my pencil. Should I rent one for $10 per period, or is it smarter to buy one for $20?

Learning to keep a check register is an important life skill.
Rent. Utilities. Wage earning. Savings versus spending. Lease or buy?

These are adult questions. It's been exciting to be able to learn about them in our simulation!

In fact, as students talked about this simulation to their parents at our recent student-parent conferences, several parents said, "I wish I had someone to teach me this in high school!" and "Maybe I should sign up to be in your class!"