2/10/17

Mind-Craft

Landscape in Maggie's Minecraft world.
 This quarter, our Technology for Life Success class is digging into learning using Minecraft. 

We're not just learning Minecraft. We're learning about learning by USING Minecraft.

Side Note: "Digging"- Minecraft- get it? That's a play on words- a pun!


Modern architecture in Minecraft. Here is a night view with torches providing lighting.
Design is by Lorelei. 

We're calling that Mind-Craft. Digging into reflecting on our learning is an adult life skill. If we know how we learn and if we understand what happens as we learn, we are able to be a lot more successful as adults. 

Here is how it works.
Jaron explores his world and develops new skills.




We log in to our Minecraft accounts. We each have a school account and an avatar that we are using this semester.

We do our assignment for the day within the Minecraft world.
Sometimes we work in our own personal world. Sometimes we work together in a world. Sometimes some of the computers do not work, so we end up sharing.

After Sister Patrice calls time (we spend between 15-30 minutes, depending on what else we have to cover that day), we take some pictures. They are called "screen shots."

Then, we log out of Minecraft. We log into our personal Google Drive and open our template for our reflection and writing.

We answer all of these questions.
What is Mind-Craft? Hard thinking about thinking!

Finally, we send Sister Patrice our written reflections by "sharing" our document to her.

These questions are HARD! The last few questions are especially difficult because we have to think about our learning. It's like stretching our brains.

In some ways, working in Minecraft is getting us ready
for our FUTURE world!
Here are a few comments we've made in our Mind-Craft diaries as we reflected on the PBLOs:
  • I was a creative thinker... I used my creative mind today to build my "place" in a mountain. I learned that being creative is fun.
  • I was a self-directed achiever... I figured out how to take a screenshot and save it for myself to remember or for someone else to see.
  • Figuring out how to take screenshots is being an effective communicator because we had to work out together how to do it. I can use this idea in the future because if there's something important I can screenshot the computer screen for later. Or, I can use my phone's camera to take a video or pictures. 
  • I used creative thinker and balanced individual because I planned out where to build a farm and what I need for a farm so I can grow my own food. 
  • I used self-directed learner because I learned a lot of new things by figuring them out. I tried to understand the gaming system and how the game works (new for me). Also, we are learning to control our attitude and anger and I think that will be good to use in the future so we don't use our anger and attitude to put us into bad situations.